The Decision Making Structure of the Council
The full Council - the Mayor and nine Councillors - meet formally on the first Wednesdays of every month at 7.00 pm. A Development Assessment Panel (CDAP) meeting to consider Development Act applications submitted for approval is held on the second Wednesday of each month at 5.30 p.m. Audit Committee Meetings are held at least 4 times a year on the 2nd Monday of the month at 9.30am to discuss the financial issues of Council.
Every meeting of Council, the Audit Committee, and of the Development Assessment Panel is open to the public to attend. The Council, a Council committee or Development Assessment Panel may, however, order that the public be excluded from attendance at so much of a meeting as is necessary to receive, discuss or consider in confidence certain prescribed matters. Such matters include, for example, the consideration of legal advice, commercial in-confidence information, tenders for the supply of goods and services, personnel matters etc.
Council, Audit Committee, and Development Assessment Panel meeting agendas, together with the accompanying reports and correspondence, are placed on public display, at Council's three offices and on the Council's website, not less than three days prior to those meetings. Minutes of the meetings are placed on display for free public access within five days of each meeting.
MEETING DATES FOR 2019-2020
General Council Meetings
General Council meetings to be held in the Council Chambers, Kadina Town Hall, at 7.00pm First Wednesday of each month (except January and February).
|22nd January 2020||1st July 2020|
|12th February 2020||5th August 2020|
|4th March 2020||2nd September 2020|
|1st April 2020||7th October 2020|
|6th May 2020||4th November 2020|
|3rd June 2020||2nd December 2020|
Public Question Time at Council Meetings
The Council will conduct a public question time during the Ordinary Council meeting on the following basis:
- Questions will be provided in writing to the CEO up until 6:50pm of the day of the meeting. Questions should include name and contact details (either postal address or email) Note: The later a question is submitted the more likely it will be disallowed due to the limited time to verify its contents and intent.
- A list will be prepared from the questions received and provided to the Presiding Member.
- At approximately 7:02 (following the welcome) the Presiding Member will ask for questions in order of receipt, until the close of public question time at approximately 7:17 (after 15 minutes)
- Questions not asked will be responded to in writing within 10 days
- The Presiding Member may answer the question themselves, nominate a Councillor or ask the CEO to answer a question
- Neither the questions or the answers will be recorded in the Council meeting minutes.
- Questions will be on the following basis:
- To be fair to others, a limit of 3 minutes per person applies
- One brief clarifying response/question from the questioner may be allowed by the Presiding Member
- A maximum of two questions per person on any one night
- A maximum of six questions per calendar year per person (Note: other opportunities exist through normal correspondence for further questions)
- Brief clarifying questions from the Elected Members may be allowed by the Presiding Member
- Directors may respond to questions at the direction of the CEO
- Questions not able to be answered at the meeting (on the spot) will be responded to in writing.
- Questions must be read out by the questioner as they were submitted, with no additional detail or wording added.
- The Presiding Member may disallow a question if it:
- Is unlawful in any way
- Relates to matters outside the duties, functions and powers of Council;
- Is defamatory, indecent, abusive, offensive, irrelevant, trivial or objectionable in language or substance;
- Deals with a subject matter already answered;
- Is aimed at embarrassing a Councillor or a member of Council staff;
- Or is confidential in nature in accordance with section 90 of the Local Government Act.
- Relates to any item listed on the agenda for the Council meeting (Note: this ground for refusal is in order to avoid any procedural fairness concerns arising in respect to any matter to be determined on the Council Meeting Agenda);
The Local Government Act 1999 expressly recognises that the Council may hold ‘informal gatherings’ of Elected Members.
The purpose of the Council informal gatherings includes but is not limited to allowing the Mayor, Elected Members and senior management staff to:
o Exchange draft information on proposals that are being worked on by staff or ideas that need to be investigated.
o Receive training including any mandatory training.
o Provide a forum for discussion on proposed staff initiatives and discuss options for engaging the community in determining Council’s strategic corporate direction.
o Assist councillors/executive staff in team building.
o Help develop trust and understanding between those who attend the workshops.
o Receive briefings including, community organisations, businesses, Council programs, LGA and State Government Departments.
Elected Members CANNOT make an actual or purported decision or issue a direction to staff. The Council recognises that formal decision-making may, legally, only occur at formal meetings of the Council or otherwise pursuant to the Council’s scheme of delegation.
The Council has a policy on how it manages its informal gathering, it can be found here.
Informal Gathering Dates
Information about Council's planned, designated informal gatherings can be found below. Where possible these sessions are open to the public and you are more than welcome to attend.
|Place, Time, Date||Matters to be Discussed||Open or Closed Session||If Closed, Why|
|Council Chamber, Kadina Town Hall, 51 Taylor Street, Kadina, at 6.00 pm, Wednesday, 15th January 2020|
Wallaroo Swimming Enclosure
|Closed Session||Legal advice with Council's Solicitor|
|Kadina Town Hall Function Room, 51 Taylor Street, Kadina, at 7.00 pm, Wednesday, 15th January 2020||Joint Planning Agreement - Presentation by Jeff Tate||Open Session|