Covid Virus Update

UPDATE: Read the latest update regarding our response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. Read More

Dismiss alert



Keeping PoultryChicken

The keeping of poultry and pigeons can provide enjoyment for the property owners and their family without impacting negatively on neighbours if maintained correctly.

To ensure that the keeping of poultry and pigeons is not creating a nuisance and compliant; poultry and pigeon keepers are obliged to implement best practices when designing and maintaining enclosures.

Do I need approval to keep poultry?

Development approval is not required for keeping of poultry and pigeons for domestic purposes only (eg for the enjoyment and needs of the occupants of the land).

Intensive animal keeping operations of poultry will require Development approval.

Poultry Enclosures - Construction

Development approval for enclosures is only required for the shed and building being used for nesting if it is 15 square metres or larger.  This excludes the surrounding fenced area of the enclosure.

Further information can be found on this website at Outbuildings.


Roosters are not permitted in residential areas due to the noise problems they cause.

This is one of the most common complaints Council receives.

If you are experiencing an issue with a rooster in a residential area, please contact our office on (08) 88281 200 to discuss the matter.

Concerns and Complaints

Council will investigate any formal complaints in relation to poultry which is :-

  • causing noise nuisance (particularly relevant to roosters)

  • excessive odour

  • attracting excessive rats, mice or insects

Further Information

To obtain further information or to discuss your specific circumstances, please contact our office ph (08) 8828 1200.