2017 Full Council
Public Question Time at Council Meetings
- The Council will conduct a public question time during the Ordinary Council meeting on the following basis:
- Questions will be provided in writing to the CEO up until 6:50pm of the day of the meeting. Questions should include name and contact details (either postal address or email) Note: The later a question is submitted the more likely it will be disallowed due to the limited time to verify its contents and intent.
- A list will be prepared from the questions received and provided to the Presiding Member.
- At approximately 7:02 (following the welcome) the Presiding Member will ask for questions in order of receipt, until the close of public question time at approximately 7:17 (after 15 minutes)
- Questions not asked will be responded to in writing within 10 days
- The Presiding Member may answer the question themselves, nominate a Councillor or ask the CEO to answer a question
- Neither the questions or the answers will be recorded in the Council meeting minutes.
- Questions will be on the following basis:
- To be fair to others, a limit of 3 minutes per person applies
- One brief clarifying response question may be allowed by the Presiding Member per written question
- A maximum of two questions per person on any one night
- A maximum of six questions per calendar year per person (Note: other opportunities exist through normal correspondence for further questions)
- Directors may respond to questions at the direction of the CEO
- Questions not able to be answered at the meeting (on the spot) will be responded to in writing.
- Questions must be read out by the questioner as they were submitted, with no additional detail or wording added.
- The Presiding Member may disallow a question if it:
- Is unlawful in any way
- Relates to matters outside the duties, functions and powers of Council;
- Is defamatory, indecent, abusive, offensive, irrelevant, trivial or objectionable in language or substance;
- Deals with a subject matter already answered;
- Is aimed at embarrassing a Councillor or a member of Council staff;
- Or is confidential in nature in accordance with section 90 of the Local Government Act.
- Relates to any item listed on the agenda for the Council meeting (Note: this ground for refusal is in order to avoid any procedural fairness concerns arising in respect to any matter to be determined on the Council Meeting Agenda);
|2017 Council Agendas|
Council Minutes 2017
For last years minutes please click here