The Decision Making Structure of the Council
The full Council - the Mayor and ten Councillors - meet formally on the first Wednesdays of every month at 7.00 pm. A Development Assessment Panel (CDAP) meeting to consider Development Act applications submitted for approval is held on the second Wednesday of each month at 5.30 p.m. Audit Committee Meetings are held at least 4 times a year on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 4.00pm to discuss the financial issues of Council.
Every meeting of Council, the Audit Committee, and of the Development Assessment Panel is open to the public to attend. The Council, a Council committee or Development Assessment Panel may, however, order that the public be excluded from attendance at so much of a meeting as is necessary to receive, discuss or consider in confidence certain prescribed matters. Such matters include, for example, the consideration of legal advice, commercial in-confidence information, tenders for the supply of goods and services, personnel matters etc.
Council, Audit Committee, and Development Assessment Panel meeting agendas, together with the accompanying reports and correspondence, are placed on public display, at Council's three offices and on the Council's website, not less than three days prior to those meetings. Minutes of the meetings are placed on display for free public access within five days of each meeting.
Public Question Time at Council Meetings
- The Council will conduct a public question time during the Ordinary Council meeting on the following basis:
- Questions will be provided in writing to the CEO up until 6:50pm of the day of the meeting. Questions should include name and contact details (either postal address or email) Note: The later a question is submitted the more likely it will be disallowed due to the limited time to verify its contents and intent.
- A list will be prepared from the questions received and provided to the Presiding Member.
- At approximately 7:02 (following the welcome) the Presiding Member will ask for questions in order of receipt, until the close of public question time at approximately 7:17 (after 15 minutes)
- Questions not asked will be responded to in writing within 10 days
- The Presiding Member may answer the question themselves, nominate a Councillor or ask the CEO to answer a question
- Neither the questions or the answers will be recorded in the Council meeting minutes.
- Questions will be on the following basis:
- To be fair to others, a limit of 3 minutes per person applies
- One brief clarifying response question may be allowed by the Presiding Member per written question
- A maximum of two questions per person on any one night
- A maximum of six questions per calendar year per person (Note: other opportunities exist through normal correspondence for further questions)
- Directors may respond to questions at the direction of the CEO
- Questions not able to be answered at the meeting (on the spot) will be responded to in writing.
- Questions must be read out by the questioner as they were submitted, with no additional detail or wording added.
- The Presiding Member may disallow a question if it:
- Is unlawful in any way
- Relates to matters outside the duties, functions and powers of Council;
- Is defamatory, indecent, abusive, offensive, irrelevant, trivial or objectionable in language or substance;
- Deals with a subject matter already answered;
- Is aimed at embarrassing a Councillor or a member of Council staff;
- Or is confidential in nature in accordance with section 90 of the Local Government Act.
- Relates to any item listed on the agenda for the Council meeting (Note: this ground for refusal is in order to avoid any procedural fairness concerns arising in respect to any matter to be determined on the Council Meeting Agenda);
MEETING DATES FOR 2016
General Council Meetings
General Council meetings to be held in the Council Chambers, Kadina Town Hall, at 7.00pm First Wednesday of each month (except January when meetings are held second Wednesday of the month due to the Christmas/New Year holiday period).
Council Meeting Dates
1st Wednesday @ 7pm (except January & February)
|January 20th||July 6th|
|February 10th||August 3rd|
|March 2nd||September 7th|
Council Development Assessment Panel
Council Development Assessment Panel meetings to be held in the Function Room of the Kadina Town Hall, at 5.30 pm, second Wednesday of each month. A meeting may be cancelled if there are no items to discuss. A special meeting may be called if required.
CDAP Meeting Dates 2016
2nd Wednesday @ 5.30pm
|January 20th||July 13th|
|February - No Meeting||August 10th|
|March - No Meeting||September 14th|
|April - No Meeting||October 12th|
|May - No Meeting||November 9th|
|June 8th||December 14th|
Audit Committee meetings to be held in the Meeting Room in the Kadina Town Hall, at 4.00pm at least 4 times year.
Audit Committee Meeting Dates