Lifestyle location of choice

Your Council

Providing you with Council & Elected Members, Meetings, Maps and
Electoral Information

Dog & Cat Management

Changes to Dog and Cat Management Act 

New laws for cat and dog owners will come into effect on 1 July 2018. The laws and rules include:
- Mandatory microchipping of dogs and cats
- Desexing of dogs and cats born after the 1 July 2018
- New rules for breeders who sell dogs and cats
- Introduction of a State-wide database, called Dogs and Cats Online.

These new laws and rules will simplify dog registration process, make it easier to reunite lost dogs and cats with their owners, help identify and put a stop to puppy farms and reduce euthanasia rates.

From 1 July, owners must microchip their dogs and cats by 12 weeks of age or at the point of sale.

Dogs and cats born after the 1 July must be desexed by 6 months of age or 28 days after purchase by the owner. Exemptions apply.

People who breed dogs and cats for sale after 1 July 2018 must register with the Dog and Cat Management Board as a breeder. Advertisements must include breeder registration numbers and other information must be provided to the buyer at the point of sale.

Dogs and Cats Online
From 1 July 2018, Dogs and Cats Online will be the central database for microchipped and registered dogs and cats and registration payments. Dogs and Cats Online will also be the register of breeders.

Existing dog owners should receive a renewal notice in the mail during July 2018 with their dog’s new lifetime registration disc (replacing the annual disc) and instructions on how to complete their annual dog registration on Dog and Cats Online. If you do not receive a renewal notice for your dog, please contact your council.

In preparation for these changes :
- microchip your dogs and cats and update your council
- notify your council of any change of address 
- share this information amongst your networks

For more information regarding the changes to Dog and Cat Management  please  click here .

Pursuant to Council’s by-laws, the maximum number of dogs allowed to be kept in a township is one dog for a small dwelling and two dogs for premises other than a small dwelling.    Outside of a township the maximum number of dogs allowed on private premises is three (except where additional permits have been obtained).

Dogs & Cats Online


For more information regarding these changes please click here.




With the new legislation well under way, we thought we would clarify some points.


Anyone who breeds dogs or cats for sale, barter or exchange (receiving some other benefit for puppies or kittens) must register as a Breeder on Dogs and Cats Online. 


This isn’t limited to pedigree breeds, and includes people whose dogs or cats have accidental litters.  If you sell, barter or exchange puppies and/or kittens you have bred, you must have a Breeder Registration Number (BRN).  Your BRN must be listed in any advertisement you post, when selling a dog or cat and certain information must be supplied to the potential buyer. 

A person will be taken to have bred a dog or a cat in any of the following circumstances:

  • Provides semen or ova used to breed the dog or cat
  • Provides any assistance (however described) in the course of breeding the dog or cat
  • Provides facilities used in the course of breeding the dog or cat
  • Fails to take reasonable steps to prevent the impregnation of another dog or cat
  • Fails to take reasonable steps to prevent the impregnation of their dog or cat.


So some scenarios could be:

  • Dog has had a litter, puppies are given away to a rescue/shelter who onsell puppies once microchipped, etc – No need to register as a breeder but the rescue/shelter must give potential buyers your details
  • Dog has had a litter, puppies are given away to a rescue/shelter who onsell puppies once microchipped, etc but you receive a service in exchange eg Assist with Desexing of your dog – you must register as a Breeder and the rescue/shelter must provide your BRN to potential buyer
  • Dog / Cat is pregnant and given to rescue/shelter and puppies/kittens are born whilst in the care of the rescue / shelter – they must register as a Breeder and then supply potential buyers with a BRN.


To avoid accidental litters, please talk to your vet about desexing your dog or cat.


Sale or sell is defined in the Act and it includes possessing a dog or cat for the purpose of sale, auction, barter or exchange. Sellers of dogs or cats are also required to comply with the South Australian Standards and Guidelines for the Breeding and Trading Companion Animals which sets out welfare standards and guidelines for dogs and cats.


Upon the sale of any dog or cat the buyer must be provided with a statement setting out: name/address of the seller; name/ address of each breeder and the breeder registration number (if known)/ details of the date and who carried out microchipping and/or desexing procedures; details of any exemptions granted and details of any medical conditions known.


A dog or a cat must be microchipped before it is sold. If it is has not been sold, dogs and cats older than 12 weeks of age must be microchipped, or microchipped within 28 days of taking possession, or before an extension has expired. A dog or cat must be desexed by 6 months of age, or within 28 days of taking possession, or before an extension has expired. Desexing only applies to dogs and cat born after 1 July 2018.


Breeder registration on Dogs and Cats Online provides owners with a historical record and link to the breeder of the dogs and/or cats they have purchased. This allows for consumer rights to be exercised if required. Breeder registration, and the linking to lifetime dog and cat microchip registration, also allows authorities to understand where dogs and cats are being bred and that welfare standards and breeding practices are being upheld, including the breeding from temperamentally sounds dogs and cats.


For more information go to

Fact Sheets of Interest:
New Dog and Cat Laws
New Laws for Breeders
Dogs and Microchips


Dog & Cat 1



Responsible cat ownership

The South Australian Dog and Cat Management Act has been designed to help manage stray and nuisance cats, while providing

 legal protection for cats and cat owners. Identification separates owned from stray cats.

By law, an identified cat is owned and is therefore legally protected.

Your cat can be identified by either:

  • a collar bearing the owner's address OR phone number;
  • a microchip inserted under the cat's skin by a vet, with an "M" tattooed in the ear.

If an identified cat is trapped, it must be released immediately. If an unidentified cat is trapped, it may be released or taken to an authorised person within 12 hours. That person will be able to release it, impound it, give it away, sell it, or euthanase it.


The legal protection of cats does not extend to national parks and reserves. If any cat is found in a national park, designated sanctuary or Crown lands, or more than one kilometre from any place genuinely used as a residence, then legally it can be destroyed regardless of whether or not it is identified.

Cats: Frequently Asked Questions:

I have a cat. What do I need to do?

The law does NOT require you to identify your cat if it stays on your property. But if it is not wearing identification when it is off your property it can be trapped and removed as an unowned cat. TO KEEP YOUR CAT SAFE, IDENTIFY IT.

Do I need to register my cat?

No.  However council has a Cats by-law no 6, that allows the keeping of no more than 2 cats without the permission of Council .

For information on Council's responsibility for management of dogs and cats, please refer to section 26 of the Dog and Cat Management Act.



It is required by law that all dogs must be registered at the age of 3 months.

Dog registrations expire at the end of the financial year (due between 1 July and 31 August each year). Payment received after 31 August will incur a late fee on top of the annual registration fee and may attract an $170 Expiation Notice for owning an unregistered dog. Proof of desexing, microchipping and training is required to qualify for rebates, which is required on a new application for registration.

The registered owner must be a person 16 years or over, and that person must inform the Council as soon as possible if:

  • the dog is moved to a different premises
  • the dog dies, or is missing for more than 72 hours
  • the owner changes their contact number
  • ownership of the dog is transferred to another person. New owners have 14 days to register a dog, after which they can be fined if the dog remains unregistered.

To register a new dog or renew a dog registration, or to update yours or your dog's details please click here.

For more information about dog registration and further concessions, or to update your details please contact the Council office on 8828 1200 or e-mail


If you run a kennel at which dogs are bred or trained, provide a security service involving the use of dogs or provide any other service involving the use of dogs you may be required to complete the Application for Registration of a Business Involving Dogs  form which can be found here

Responsible dog ownership

Responsible dog ownership depends wholly on public awareness of the proper care, keeping and control of pets. The decision to become a dog owner is one that should not be taken lightly. Deciding what breed of dog is equally important.

Three questions that should be considered before choosing a breed of dog are:

  • Have I the time to properly care for and exercise the dog?
  • Can I afford to feed and shelter the dog as well as paying the unexpected veterinary bills?
  • Is my property suitable for keeping a dog?

Before you answer any of these, remember some of the large breeds need a daily walk of up to 1.5-2 kilometres to keep them healthy. Some breeds need extensive grooming to keep their coats clean and healthy. Small dogs may not need as much exercise, but some long-coated breeds need time spent on grooming their coats.



Barking Dogs

If you have a barking dog & have spoken with your neighbour first and then you feel you need to report to Council, please put this in writing providing as much detail as possible.

Information you should provide in your letter

  • Your Contact Details.
  • The Name (if known) and Address of the owners where you believe the barking dog resides.
  • Is there a particular time that the dog barks?
  • Are the owners at home or away during this time?
  • Have you approached your neighbours? (they may not be aware that their dog is barking)
  • Have you kept a diary of when the dog barks and for how long?

Barking is a natural behaviour for dogs and they may have various reasons to bark however, it may take some time to teach the dog different ways to behave to certain situations.

If you require further information please contact Council's General Inspector on 8828 1200.


Parvovirus - What every dog owner needs to know! 

Dog owners are being warned about Parvo Virus in surrounding regions….how to avoid it coming to the Copper Coast.

What is it? Canine parvovirus (commonly called 'parvo') is a highly contagious viral disease that can produce a life-threatening illness in both puppies and dogs.

How can my puppy or dog get it?  It can be transmitted by any person, animal or object that comes in contact with an infected dog’s feces. Puppies, adolescent dogs, and adult dogs who are not vaccinated are at risk of contracting the virus. Protecting your puppy or dog from parvovirus could save their life.

Is there a way I can help them avoid getting it?  Yes. You can keep your dog healthy with these tips:

1. Make sure your dog is properly vaccinated. Puppies should receive their first vaccines at 6-8 weeks of age; boosters should be administered at three-week intervals until the puppy is 16 weeks of age, and then again at one year of age. Previously vaccinated adult dogs need boosters every year. 

2. Limit your puppy or unvaccinated dog’s exposure to other dogs until they've had their first two vaccinations, unless you are sure the other dogs are fully vaccinated.

3. Avoid places where your puppy or unvaccinated dog could be exposed to parvovirus from unvaccinated dogs. Play groups, Dog parks, pet stores, and other public areas should be avoided until your dog or puppy is fully vaccinated.

4. When visiting your vet for wellness check-ups and vaccinations, carry your puppy in your arms outside and leave him on your lap while waiting in the reception. Walking where other dogs have walked and gone to the bathroom will increase your puppy’s risk of contracting disease.

5. Parvovirus is very difficult to kill and can live in homes and the soil in backyards for over 12 months. If you suspect your house or yard has been infected, clean with a 1:32 dilution of bleach (1/2 cup bleach in a 3.5litres of water). Regular soaps and disinfectants DO NOT kill parvovirus. Areas that cannot be cleaned with bleach may remain contaminated. Remember, the virus can survive on a variety of objects, including food bowls, shoes, clothes, carpet and floors. Beware - the chlorine in bleach will take the colour out of clothing, lounges and carpets if it comes into contact. Parvo loses its effectiveness after about 30 days indoors. If you don't want to bleach or steam the fabrics in your household, allow at least one month for the virus to die a natural death before introducing new dogs into your home.   

Thoroughly watering down your yard with a garden hose can help dilute the viral pathogens outside your house, but make sure your lawn has good drainage beforehand. The only other thing you can do is allow enough time to pass for the viral pathogens to die before you bring a new dog into your outdoor space. Shady areas can remain contaminated for up to seven months, while those that receive ample sunlight typically stay contaminated for about five months.

6. If you work or spend time in places where you have contact with dogs, change into a fresh set of clothes and shoes and wash your work clothes before returning home to your dog or puppy.

7. If your dog or puppy has bloody diarrhea (often severe), Fever, Lethargy (lack of energy), Loss of appetite, Malaise (discomfort associated with illness), Rapid weight loss, Vomiting, take them to the vet ASAP. These are all symptoms of parvovirus. Remember, Infected dogs may show only one symptom!

8. If you are considering adopting a new dog, or taking them to puppy school, we encourage leaving your unvaccinated puppies or dogs at home. It is very important to do a meet and greet, but take the time to make sure your dog is fully vaccinated first!

 Dogs on the Beach

Dogs On The Beach


Dog & Cat Management Board of South Australia

The following link takes you to an external website from where you can access the Dog & Cat Management Act.


The following file takes you to the council's Dog and Cat Management Plan 2018-2023.

Dog and Cat Management Plan(306 kb)

Dog & Cat Management Board of South Australia

The following link takes you to an external website from where you can access the Dog & Cat Management Act.

The following file takes you to the council's Dog and Cat Management Plan 2018-2023.

Dog and Cat Management Plan(306 kb)


Lost and Found (Wandering) Dogs and Impounded Dogs


Lost Dogs

In the event that your dog becomes lost, please contact Council immediately to make a report as it may have been collected and taken to the Council's pound facilities.  When reporting a lost dog, please provide its registration number, name, sex, breed, colour, age, microchip number, colour of its collar, any other identifying features and when it was last seen.

You can also change the DACO system to reflect that your dog is Lost with a contact phone number for a member of the public to contact you direct.

Found Dogs Lost Dog

If you have found a dog wandering at large please contact Council between 8.30 am and 5.00 pm daily.  Council will attempt to identify and contact the owners.  If Council are unable to contact the owners, an Officer will collect the dog as quickly as possible.

If you have found a dog outside of these hours if possible, please hold onto the dog and contact Council.

Lost dogs can be frightened and not traffic smart which means their safety could be at risk.  Please remember that some frightened dogs could also become aggressive, so be cautious if approaching an unknown dog.  Contact the Council immediately if the dog shows signs of aggression.  An Animal Officer will attend as soon as possible to collect the dog.  If it is friendly, contain the dog as soon as possible to protect the dog from any harm that could come from continuously wandering.

Impounded Dogs

Council maintains an up-to date listing of all animals that have been lost or found and make every effort to reunite you and your pet as soon as possible. To help make the return process quicker, please ensure your pet's microchip and registration details are up to date. If you are unsure if your dog details are up to date please login into DACO.

When Council collects a wandering dog, the Officer will do the following:

  • Check registration tag/identification tag
  • Check for a microchip
  • Check Council's lost dog register
  • Display a public notice in our Kadina office.

Council aims to return the dog direct to the owner but for dogs whose owners are not located or contactable, the dog will be cared for at Councils pound facility.

All dogs must be claimed within seventy-two (72) hours, any dog unclaimed after this time becomes the property of Council and if suitable, will be re-homed.

To collect any impounded dog, you will require photo identification eg driver's licence  to confirm your current address.  

Dogs Wandering At Large

A dog is also considered to be 'wandering at large' if the dog is in a public or private place (eg CBD, outside your premises on Council road or someone else's private property without the consent of the occupier) and nobody is exercising effective control of the dog by means of a physical restraint or command when the dog being in close proximity to the person where the person can see the dog at all times.

If a dog is found in a public or private place without the consent of the occupier and nobody is exercising effective control over the dog, it is considered to be wandering at large (an offence under the Dog and Cat Management Act ).  

Further information can be found on the Dog and Cat Board Wandering Dogs Fact Sheet

Fees and Charges

Please refer to Council's Fees and Charges for all fees associated with a dog found wandering at large.

Fees may include:

  • Seizure fee
  • First day impound fee
  • Subsequent day(s) impounding fee
  • If a wandering dog unregistered it is required to be registered prior to release.
  • All fees are required to be paid prior to release of the animal. 

Further Information 

If you have lost your pet, Council encourages you to also contact:

  • RSPCA on 1300 477 722
  • Your local vet
  • Neighbouring Council's
  • Check social media lost and found pet pages
For further information can be found on this website or you can contact Council's Animal Control Officer on (08) 88281 200.





Impounded Dogs

No items available to list.

Dog Attack

Dog Attack

What to do if a dog attacks

After a dog attack, you should be to seek medical or veterinary treatment as a priority.

When safe to do so, you must report the attack to the relevant council. You can contact our Dog Management Officer on (08) 8828 1200 during business hours.

If you’re not sure which council to contact, you can find a map of South Australia’s council boundaries here

Report the incident ASAP

Like all serious incidents, time is a critical factor in dealing with dog attacks. This is especially important if the offending dog is wandering at large and still poses a risk to the public or other animals. To help council officers, please try to gather the following information before contacting us:

  • the date, time and exact location of the attack. If you’re not sure, use your GPS equipped smart phone to check on a map
  • a description of the offending dog - registration disc, name tag, breed, colour, sex, markings, collar size and colour
  • a description of the owner - name, address, contact phone number, male or female, age,  hair colour, clothing
  • if a car was involved and the offender drove away with the dog - car registration number,  make, model, colour
  • a description and photographs of any injuries and location on your body or your pet's body.
  • Complete the Dog Attack complaint Form – downloadable from this website

You should also keep copies of any medical certificates, vet or doctor bills as evidence.

What happens when a dog is reported?

  • Authorised Council Officers may take a statement or affidavit from you
  • Photos may be taken of any injuries to yourself, or your animals or birds.
  • The dog's owner may be contacted to get their side of the incident.
  • Officers could seek witness statements and other evidence
  • Officers assess the circumstances and evidence and make a decision for action
  • Council will then issue legal notices as required, and;
  • Inform the parties of the outcome.

Who is responsible?

You are responsible for your dog’s actions. It is an offence for a dog to attack, harass or chase a person, another animal or a bird owned by a person.

Find out more from the Dog and Cat Management Act, 1995

Depending on the severity of the attack, councils can:

  • issue a warning
  • impose an on the spot fine of $210 ($315 after 1 July 2017)
  • take direct court action (in more serious cases)
  • impose a control order (Nuisance, Dangerous Dog, Menacing Dog, or Destruction Order)
  • The maximum penalty for a dog attack is $2,500.

If you have any questions contact us on (08) 8828 1200.

Preventing dog bites

Dogs bite for many reasons. The most common reasons are fear, pain or confusion when mixing with people and other dogs. Ignoring signs of aggression can result in serious injury to you, a member of your family or others.  You can discourage biting by:

  • socialising your dog from an early age so that it learns how to mix with other dogs and other people in public
  • avoiding situations that may cause your dog to become nervous or anxious
  • training your dog - obedience classes help you learn about your dog, its body language and how you can communicate with it
  • desexing your dog. Research shows that, on average an entire dog is more aggressive. Note that desexing dog will be mandatory (with exemptions) from 1 July 2018.
  • asking your vet for advice if your dog shows any signs of aggression towards people.

For more information on being a good dog owner, visit the Dog and Cat Management Board website


After hours contact number is 0488 212 001.  (This phone is only turned on outside of business hours.)

If you or your dog has been involved in a dog attack, it is imperative that you notify Council as soon as possible, either in person or on (08) 8828 1200 so the required action can be taken.  You may also be required to fill out the folllowing form:
Dog Attack Complaint Form

Other Animals

Horses on the beach

Emergency Numbers / Out Of Office Hours


Dog and Cat Management        (08) 8828 1200 

Handy Websites

Dog Registrations -
Update Microchip Addresses - or
Lost Pets -
YP Puppy Rescue -
Little Claws Rescue -
Council's Facebook page

Paw Print

Quick Links
51 Taylor Street
PO Box 396
Kadina SA 5554